On behalf of PIANC Australia-New Zealand (A-NZ), I would like to express my thanks to all our members and colleagues for your ongoing support in 2019.
This has been a momentous year with many successful events and major initiatives underway. Of most importance to me was the establishment of our Regional Chapters. Located across the A-NZ region, the chapters provide an easy way to connect with PIANC and get involved with various leadership opportunities.
Major achievements in 2019 included:
- Organising 18 seminar and networking events in Adelaide, Auckland, Brisbane, Darwin, Hobart, Melbourne, Perth, and Sydney.
- Co-Convening the Australasian Coasts and Ports 2019 Conference, including the 17th Australasian Port and Harbour Conference.
- Hosting a 2-Day Seminar pre Coasts & Ports on Crisis Management and Natural Disaster Response.
- Convening a 2-Day Seminar on “New Technologies – Driving Environmental Improvements in the Ports and Coasts Sector” alongside our AGM.
- Appointing new A-NZ members to nine (9) international Working Groups, hosting A-NZ led Working Group (WG) meetings, and promoting recent WG Reports and opportunities.
- Maintaining our international leadership through our Commission Leads, Vice President Role, presentations at the Annual General Assembly, and via Travel Assistance Grants to WG appointments.
- Continuing to support our local members and grow our community through the establishment of seven (7) Regional Chapters in WA, SA, Vic/Tas, NSW, QLD, NT and NZ.
- Ensuring Board leadership, financial stability and ongoing risk management of PIANC A-NZ activities through regular active communications, transparent operations and member focused initiatives.
New Biennial Conference APAC2020
In addition to the above achievements, we were excited to announce our new biennial conference series, APAC 2020 (www.pianc2020.com), focused on harbours, ports and recreational boating across Asia Pacific. The inaugural event will be held in Fremantle, WA from June 16-19, 2020 and abstract submission is now open.
A pre-conference symposium on “Nature Based Solutions for Coasts, Ports and Estuaries” will also be held prior to the conference. We encourage you all to be a part of these historic events.
The upcoming year is shaping up as an exciting period for PIANC A-NZ. As always, please let us know if we can assist with any enquiry or if you would like to become more involved with PIANC activities. There are many leadership opportunities at a regional, national or international level.
All the best for a prosperous 2020.
Associate Professor William Glamore
Chair PIANC Australia & New Zealand