Click here to view video
Planning for automation is becoming a natural process in the transition towards more sustainable and resilient supply chains.
PIANC recently issued PIANC Report No.208 – Planning for Automation of Container Terminals. PIANC Northern Chapter (Qld/NT) organised a great seminar on 28 July 2021 – with presentations by several authors of the report who analysed state-of-the-art and best practices, with advice and guidance for port stakeholders in the planning process and the specific considerations with regards to automation of container terminals in Australia.
Presentations – Click here to view Part One pdf
1. General Aspects Overview of Working Group process
2. Semi-Automated and Automated Terminals
3. Developing a Business Case for Automation
Presentations – Click here to view Part Two pdf
4. Planning for Automation
6. Engineering, Implementation, and Operation
Part Three: Click here to view Q&A by attendees/presenters
- Tom Ward – Director US Maritime Planning, WSP
- Carsten Varming – Port Development Manager, NSW Ports
- Tom Crawford-Condie – Principal Maritime Engineer, WSP
- Michael Houen – Director, Smart Port Strategy, Hatch
PIANC’s Northern Chapter intend to hold a follow up event by our port stakeholders in the future to address some of the practical challenges in implementing the automation of their container terminals – in order to further open up the floor for technical discussions and share more ideas for practical solutions.