On behalf of PIANC Australia-New Zealand (A-NZ), I would like to express my thanks to all our members for your ongoing support in 2018.
The past 12 months has been an exciting period as we continue to provide members with working group initiatives, workshops/seminar events and outreach activities.
Major achievements in 2018 included:
• Providing free (to members) events in Darwin, Perth, Sydney, Auckland, Adelaide and Brisbane.
• Increasing PIANC A-NZ representation on Working Groups and International Commissions.
• Supporting member attendance at international events via the Travel Assistance Program
• Hosting a successful Port Planning Seminar at our Annual General Meeting in June
• Supporting Young Professional networking events and the regional expansion of YPCom.
• Ensuring valuable ongoing communication via regular updates at www.PIANC.org.au
• Pre-planning and organisation of the 24th Australasian Coastal and Ocean Engineering Conference and the 17th Australasian Port and Harbour Conference in Hobart, Tasmania (September 2019).
• Working with PIANC International to ensure Australian and New Zealand representation on Working Groups, Commissions and at the Executive level.
• Promoting, attending and supporting members at the PIANC World Congress in Panama.
• Developing Regional Chapters to promote local decision making and involvement.
We hope you were able to take advantage of the many events and opportunities available to members.
One of the largest National Sections
In 2018, we were proud to see so many local members getting involved with PIANC activities. We are one of the largest National Sections worldwide and have several active members leading and developing International Working Groups, attending International Commission meetings, developing local initiatives and Regional Chapters, and participating in ExCom Activities. Your ongoing interest is encouraged and appreciated.
34th PIANC World Congress
One of the most rewarding outcomes of this year was our involvement at the 34th World Congress in Panama. Congresses have been held worldwide since 1884 and I am pleased to note that this was the best attended Congress by Australian and New Zealand representatives of all time. Our international presence ensures that Working Groups and Commissions are applicable to local conditions. This work is appreciated worldwide and our efforts were recognised with two (2) Working with Nature Certificates received at the Congress.
The year ahead
2019 is shaping up as another exciting year. The Coasts & Ports Conference in September in Hobart has a great buzz about it, with prestigious PIANC keynote speakers announced. We look forward to providing more details on the pre-conference seminar and related events soon. There are many opportunities to get involved either at a regional, national or international level so please let us know if we can assist.
We thank you for your ongoing support of PIANC Australia & New Zealand in 2018. All the best for a prosperous 2019.
Associate Professor William Glamore
Chair PIANC Australia & New Zealand