Date(s) - 09/09/2019 - 10/09/2019
Hotel Grand Chancellor
1 Davey St, Hobart
PIANC Australia/New Zealand Coasts & Ports Pre-Conference Seminar:
Crisis Management and Natural Disaster Response
If you want to attend the PIANC Seminar only, and not continue onto Coasts and Ports Conference, you can register here.
Date: 9 – 10 September 2019
Venue: Hotel Grand Chancellor, Hobart
Cost: PIANC Members $495 (incl. GST), Non-Members $725 (incl. GST)
PIANC Australia & New Zealand is pleased to announce our 2019 pre-conference seminar for the biennial Australasian Coasts and Ports Conference. For this seminar, PIANC Australia & New Zealand has developed an exciting program that addresses crisis management and natural disaster response in ports and harbours with eminent Australian, New Zealand and international speakers.
As island nations in a globalised trading world, Australia and New Zealand rely heavily on their sea ports for connectivity and prosperity. Our ports provide an essential link in the trade of minerals, agricultural and manufactured goods as well as critical energy resources. Natural disasters and human-created crises pose a significant threat to the operation of our ports and harbours. Recent experiences in managing and preparing for these events has provided important learnings for the broader PIANC community.
Major topics include:
• Hurricane/Cyclone impacts on ports – emergency response and recovery
• Governmental planning and approach to disaster risk reduction
• Earthquake impacts – with a focus on recent New Zealand events
• Shipping channel blockage risk – management and mitigation
• Tsunami risk – assessment and evaluation
• Insurance of coastal and port infrastructure
• Prevention versus recovery – the perspective of the first response agencies
• Fires in ports – case study
• Climate change and the importance of preparedness for extreme events
A diverse and interesting array of speakers have been assembled, including:
• James Dalton – Director of Civil Works, US Army Corps of Engineers
• Mark Crosweller – Head of National Resilience Taskforce, Australian Government Department of Home Affairs
• Colonel Ian Cumming – Australian Defence Climate and Security Adviser
• Marcus John – Director, Thomas Miller (Australasia) Pty Ltd
• Kevin Kane – Senior Manager, Environment and Planning, North Queensland Bulk Ports
• Dr Hiroyasu Kawai – Director Marine Information and Tsunami Department, PARI Japan
• Captain Roger Kirk – Acting Harbour Master Port Kembla
• Jamie Storrie – Manager, Crisis Preparedness and Response, Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA)
The detailed program will be announced in coming weeks.
The seminar format will include sufficient time for presentations and for delegates to mix with colleagues and industry partners during breaks. A networking dinner on Monday evening is also included in the registration cost.
Please contact the Seminar Organising Chair, Chris Carboon at Chris.Carboon@jacobs.com with any questions.
To register for the PIANC Hobart Seminar, please follow links at:
The opportunity exists to provide sponsorship of the PIANC Australia & New Zealand Hobart Seminar. A limited number of sponsorship packages are available to the value of $2,500 (excl GST). As a sponsor, your organisation will receive the following benefits:
• Prime profile and access to between 50-100 targeted attendees over two-days;
• One free registration to the seminar;
• A flyer on every seat at the start of the seminar each day;
• Acknowledgement on the website and on all seminar material;
• Acknowledgement on the holding slide shown when sessions are not underway;
• Acknowledgement by the Chair at the commencement/closing each day.
Parties interested in sponsorship should contact Neil Lawson at email@example.com